As part of its lifestyles file in 2050, the Financial Times looked at possible changes in travel. Real trips or virtual trips.
What will the holidays of the future look like ?
In 2050, one out of every two people will take holidays abroad, compared to one in seven at the present time. In other words, says the Financial Times, "not far from 5 billion travelers will move each year", which will certainly influence the way we consider these trips. Evoking the work of futurists, the FT evokes five new trends :
- The multiplication of short-lived but more and more distant escapades, as technological advances progress: "A break of a weekend could mean a four-hour London-Shanghai flight."
- Unknown destinations: "Tourism will surely diversify, take new paths - underwater hotels and ephemeral camps in the jungle are now possible."
- Escape through virtual reality, for example through the Birdly program, which already offers the opportunity to fly the streets of New York. "Technology will connect to our emotions", which will not only "go" to Thailand, but "feel".
- Objectif Lune: Virgin Galactic plans to offer orbital flights, including a few minutes in zero gravity. In 2050, assures the FT, "we will be able to enter the stratosphere and have the most beautiful panorama of his life". As for the Moon, "it will remain a hobby for the super-rich".
- Far from these technological prowess, domestic travel will have more and more wind in their sails, predicts futurists. "This industry will particularly appeal to tourists aged 60 to 100 years, the demographic range has then expanded around the world."
- Voyager Station: the first space hotel to be “put into orbit by 2025”. Launched in 2012, the Gateway foundation aims to promote the conquest of space by imagining daring projects. Among these projects is the Californian company Orbital Assembly Corporation (OAC) which is in the process of developing Voyager Station: an impressive space hotel. A project that should see the light of day in 2025 if we are to believe the calendar unveiled by members of the organization in a live YouTube event held on February 1st.
VISION Destinations | Updated March 21
A travel blog made by luxury travel experts for solo travelers, traveling families and business travelers !
Get your daily travel inspiration and follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, Youtube, Pinterest and Facebook.